We have Canvas Open Lab hours available, in the mini Computer Lab inside the LRC Annex (LRC 168). (The Annex is the shiny silver building attached to the Library building, on the west side of campus. See GWC map.)
Feel free to drop in and work on your course in the lab during these hours, and you can ask questions of Julie and Long as you go along. 🙂
Mondays & Wednesdays:
- 11:00 AM-12:00 noon
- 2:00-4:00 PM
- 10:00 AM-12:00 noon
- 2:00-4:00 PM
You can walk-in at any time during these hours, but if you know when you’re coming and/or if you need a certain type of assistance, we’d appreciate if you can let us know ahead of time. Please contact Julie Nguyen with this information (Again – not required! Just helpful!), or with any questions you may have.
If you have a situation within your online course that involves any of the following:
- Student Conduct Violation
- Academic Dishonesty
- Behavioral Assessment Team (BAT) Referral
- Sexual Misconduct
Please report it via the Golden West College Incident Reporting Form.
As you know, as of Summer 2017, all Online, Hybrid, and Web-Enhanced/Supplemental course content will be delivered via Canvas. We are offering one last I2C Session prior to Summer’s start, and two sessions during Summer in preparation for Fall. 🙂
This 4-week online course will familiarize you with the features of the Canvas learning management system. We will cover Navigation, Content Building, Communication, and Assessment. You will learn how the system works from recorded webinars, curated readings, and formative quizzes. You will also practice what you have learned through a series of hands-on exercises. Finally, you will reflect on the tools in Canvas through discussions with other participants.
Facilitator: Juli Van Dorn
Requirements for Completion:
The average time commitment for this class is about 10 hours during each of the 4 weeks, for a total of 40 hours; however, time commitment varies based on level of experience with web technologies.
Students who obtain at least 80% achievement will pass the course, and receive a certificate of completion. For current, full-time GWC faculty, completion of this course is pre-approved for Salary Advancement Credits through IPD.
Summer Course Sections:
Monday, May 15 to Sunday, June 11
- Monday, June 26 to Sunday, July 23
- Wednesday, August 2 to Sunday, August 27 (Access to course materials on Monday, but facilitation/support begins Wednesday)
Class size will be limited, and -if needed- priority will be given to faculty members scheduled to teach upcoming courses. This course is only available to faculty of Golden West College, Orange Coast College, and Coastline Community College, and the course content is customized specifically for Golden West College faculty.
Note: Follow this blog via email to receive notifications of future training opportunities!
Blackboard calendar events can be pushed out to third party calendars (examples: Outlook and Google) through an iCalendar feed. Once the iCalendar feed is set up on a third party calendar, updates to events are automatically reflected on the third party calendar.
Blackboard Learn’s iCalendar feed’s refresh time is 4 hours, but the actual refresh rate will depend on the third party calendar being used. (Google, for example, checks more often than Outlook.)
Obtain iCalendar Feed Link
1. Click the My Blackboard menu:
2. Click the calendar icon:
3. Below the list of calendars click the button “Get External Calendar link”:
PLEASE NOTE: This calendar link is unique to your account. Do not share the link with others. You can guide them to find/copy their own external calendar link.
4. Copy the URL with the .ics extension to use in the following integration instructions, provided by Blackboard.
- Click the down-arrow next to Other calendars
- Select Add by URL from the menu
- Enter the Blackboard Learn iCalendar URL in the field provided
- Click the Add Calendar button. The calendar will appear in the Other Calendars section of the calendar list to the left.
- In Account Settings choose the Internet Calendars tab.
- Click on New and Paste the iCalendar URL you copied from Blackboard Learn into the location and click Add.
- Select “Settings”
- Select “Mail, Contacts, Calendars”
- Select “Add Account…” under “Accounts”
- Select “Other” at the bottom
- Select “Add Subscribed Calendar”
- Type the iCalendar URL. Select “Next”.
- Mail the iCalendar URL ending in .ics to the email account set up on your iPhone.
- Open the email on your phone and click the URL.
- iPhone recognizes the .ics extension as a calendar and prompts you to subscribe. Choose yes.
- Open iCal
- From the Calendar menu, choose Subscribe…
- Next, enter the iCalendar URL from Blackboard Learn into the field Calendar URL
- Click Subscribe.
- Go to calendar.yahoo.com
- Click + icon next to Subscribed.
- Choose Subscribe to other calendars.
- Enter the iCalendar URL from Blackboard Learn in ical address and enter a display name.
Additional notes – Yahoo cannot subscribe to the URL if the server IP address is specified instead of the server name.
Android does not provide an option to directly There is no direct way to subscribe to an .ics feed in Android yet. The workaround is to subscribe to the feed through Google Calendar.
- Subscribe to the Blackboard Learn calendar in Google. using the steps described in the section for ‘Google’ above.
- Go to the Android phone
- Applications -> Calendar
- Menu -> More -> Settings
- View the Blackboard Learn calendar you subscribed to in Google.
- Go to calendar.live.com.
- Click on subscribe
- Choose Subscribe to a public calendar
- Paste the iCalendar URL in Calendar URL.
- Enter a Calendar Name.
- Click ‘Subscribe to Calendar‘ button.
Don’t miss this opportunity – Blackboard wants to hear from YOU!
What features are important to you when creating and analyzing tests and surveys?
Please set aside about 20 minutes to tell us about yourself and answer some questions so we can better understand your needs.
Questions will be delivered in pairs to ask you how you would feel if a feature WAS included and if the feature WAS NOT included in Blackboard Learn.
Feel free to share the link with other instructors who may be interested!
This survey will be available to you for the next week.